Monday, September 24, 2012

FAQ’s About Campus Life

***This week's post was written by Aislinn Goad, a Biology major, and a mentor here at Student Support Servces.***
FAQ’s About Campus Life
 Coming to college means many new life changes: a new home, new places to eat, new friends, and new organizations to join. Northwest Missouri State University is like its own small town within the small town of Maryville! Northwest offers many great resources that some students are not even aware of. Here are some Frequently Asked Questions regarding life on campus:
·         Where should I go if I need help in a class?
There are so many resources to help you succeed in your classes on campus! The library itself is a great resource. Within the library are the Talent Development Center and the Writing Center. The TDC offers free tutoring in most courses, as well as help with time management. It is open from 8 am- 5 pm Monday through Friday. Just call (660) 562-1726 to set up an appointment! The Writing Center offers assistance on essays, research papers, or anything else you need to compose for a class. Call (660) 562- 1480 to set up an appointment at the Writing Center. Also available are the Math Lab in Garrett Strong and departmental tutors—asking your professor for help is always a great way to start!
·         What are hours can I eat on campus?
The Bearcat Food Court is open:
Monday - Thursday
7:00am - 8:00pm
7:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday & Sunday
11:00am - 7:00pm

JW’s Grille is open:
Monday - Friday
Saturday & Sunday

Java City in the Union is open:
Monday - Friday
7:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday & Sunday

And the Station is open 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK!!

·         How do I get involved on campus?
There are hundreds of organizations to get involved in on campus. Just go to for a list of all organizations and who to contact to get involved. Or if you are passionate about something that doesn’t already have an organization, you can start one up for yourself!!!
 ·         What should I do if I feel unsafe on campus?
Campus Safety offers many services that help you feel safe on campus. If you are at the library or another Residence Hall late at night, just call University Police at (660) 562.1254 and they will give you a ride home. You can also call them if your car is dead and the battery needs to be jumped! A great service that the University provides is Safe Ride Home, which will give you a ride if you have been drinking and it is unsafe to drive. Just call (660) 562.1245. Their operating hours are:
4 p.m. - 2 a.m.
10 p.m. - 2 a.m.
4 p.m. - 4 a.m.
10 p.m. - 4 a.m.

·         How can Student Support Services help me succeed at Northwest?
Student Support Services offers many resources to help you!! Peer mentors are available to meet with you one-on-one whenever you have other questions about adapting to college life. We also offer a résumé service, where you can turn in a draft of a résumé and we will give you suggestions on how to improve.  If you need to print something for class, just come up to our office and use on of our printers for free. We are all here to help to at SSS, just stop by AD 360 and talk to one of our staff members about whatever you need!!

No comments:

Post a Comment